Introduction

Introduction

Hello all! My name is Jade Mitchell, and I am a senior at SUNY New Paltz studying history. My favorite period to explore is the Russian Revolution, but I’m also interested in women’s history. I’ll be graduating in the spring of 2019, so this past summer I decided it was time to go out into the field and determine what I want to do with a degree in history. I wanted to explore my options besides teaching. This led me to the Hudson River Maritime Museum in Kingston, NY. At the museum, I became an education intern and got to work closely with the Director of Education Sarah Wassberg Johnson, and the Education Coordinators Tashae Smith and Paul Daley. I also got to work with many of the other staff members and volunteers. As an intern, I was involved in many projects. Some of them included editing videos of the museum’s Follow the River Lecture and Film Series, using historical documents to create new activities, and doing some research for a book on lighthouses of the Hudson River. Though I’m still unsure as to what I’ll be doing with my degree, I hold the museum and its staff dear to me. I am thankful for the many skills and opportunities I gained along the way.