Fernandez_ Extra Credit My Mic Sounds Nice

Published on: Author: fernandk14 Leave a comment

In this video I like how the women spoke about how they did not always have to worry about they were wearing because what mattered what when they got on stage was their talent and what they had to say when they spit. I also found it interesting how the women were saying that in order to catch everyones attention as a female artist was to challenge people, especially men. They also spoke on how in the 80s in order to even compete with anyone as a female artist you had to be able to rhyme like a man did. This reminded me a lot about when we read that female graffiti artists often times did not like to make feminine pieces because they wanted to be respected. In the video they also spoke on how there were also a-lot of artists at that time such as Salt and Pepper which had a lot of sexy songs and songs that women could relate to. The women in the video also spoke on how they looked up to Queen Latifa. She was vocal about being a proud black women with power and she was straight up about so many controversial topics. I truly feel like female artists in the 80s really set the platform for  these upcoming female artists. I feel like she taught women to take up space and not be afraid of being noticed. This to me was a very powerful video because I was able to hear women who actually experienced the Hip Hop world in the 80s. I also found it interesting how much harder it was for women to be successful than men. I feel like that shows how talented those women really are and how hard working and determined they are as well. 

Image result for my mic sounds nice ava duvernay"Image result for my mic sounds nice ava duvernay"