Preston_Deconstructing

Published on: Author: prestone1 Leave a comment

For this block of weeks in class, I learned a lot about “De/Constructing Gender and Sexuality”. Particularly we discussed in class we talked a lot about identity, and how it’s one of the main facets of hip-hop and how it directly effects the paths and style that people take in hip-hop. We discussed how often times people who look or act a certain way aren’t given the space to be able to move up in the world of hip-hop. Stereotypically people who are attracted to women and may present more masculine are rejected from the world of hip-hop, but on the flip-side if you’re too feminine or might have had multiple sexual partners you also aren’t included. This challenged my own thoughts because I never realized that men in this industry do everything in their power to keep women out and that there is sucha  double standard. Men are usually applauded for sleeping with many people, but as soon as a women follows suit she’s humiliated, There is a huge problem with masculinity and how it dominates hip-hop and doesn’t leave room for people of other identities.

Specifically in Mcfarland’s“Multiracial Macho: Kemo the Blaxican’s Hip Hop Masculinity” he discuses how even though the hip-hop artist Kemo is a huge activist against racism he still makes music that is sexist and misogynistic. I found it really interesting and I loved analyzing his lyrics in class. I found it so ironic how he was calling this woman the devil and a temptress, yet he was the one pursuing her and being unfaithful. I think it is very important and would be interesting to continue further with the discussion of misogyny and sexism in hip-hop and rais awareness on why it is wrong. Especially because there is still a huge stigma against women in this area of art.