Soul Train Presents: LGBTQ+ Artists in da Culture

Frank Ocean:

Frank Ocean coming out to the world in a single Tumblr post shook the world of music. Although not a typical hip-hop rapper per say, Frank Ocean is heavily involved with the culture and world of hip-hop as a whole. Often seen and involved with rappers like Tyler, The Creator, Kanye West, A$AP Rocky, Jay Z and more, Frank Ocean has cemented himself in the world of hip-hop and R&B. So with one swoop, just a week before his long-awaited debut album came out, Channel Orange, and with all surrounding rumors, Frank Ocean told us about him falling in love with another man at the age of 19. It was a super raw, real and honest. Nothing fancy and overly played out like what most celebrities would do. Instead, it was done in a single, not so appealing low-quality edit text file on a Mac, uploaded on Tumblr.

This open letter was celebrated throughout the LGBTQ community. It marked a brave, first step for a huge R&B artist like Frank Ocean and set a positive example for other artists and people alike. One of my favorite parts of this open letter was how Frank Ocean ended it, “Whoever you are. Wherever you are… I’m starting to think we’re a lot alike. Human beings spinning on blackness. All wanting to be seen, touched, heard, paid attention to”.

One of the things regarding Frank Ocean’s story is the way he chose to tell it. It’s done in an almost poetic/artistic type of way and some people have criticized him for not blatantly coming out. Some of the criticism that Frank Ocean got was during an interview he did with GQ in 2012, the only one where he addresses his sexuality where the interviewer asks him if he is bisexual and Frank Ocean answers with “You can move to the next question. I’ll respectfully say that life is dynamic and comes along with dynamic experiences”. Many saw this as a cop out, in reality, Frank was not very keen on labels or being boxed in for that matter. He also compares this sentiment with genres of music. It’s hard to say if he is in the wrong or right.

Question:

• Is it wrong that he doesn’t want to be very public with his sexual orientation?
  • On the other, is it wrong that he doesn’t embrace this quality and use it to empower others?

Extra:

Frank Ocean’s Open Letter on Tumblr:

https://genius.com/Frank-ocean-frank-oceans-open-letter-on-tumblr-annotated

Fader Article talking about the writers’ personal experience and opinion with Frank Ocean’s open letter:

http://www.thefader.com/2015/10/12/frank-ocean-letter

GQ Magazine Interview in 2012:

https://www.gq.com/story/frank-ocean-interview-gq-december-2012

Queen Latifah:

Queen Latifah, often called the first lady of hip-hop, is known for her rapping, singing, acting and has won a Grammy, Emmy, and a Golden Globe.  She is noted as infusing feminism into hip-hop, opening the door for future female hip-hop artists. Although she is considered a feminist by some, Queen Latifah does not self-identify as a feminist.  Her sexual identity is vague and she has kept mostly very secretive about her private life. Through my research, it seems like, over the decades, Queen Latifah has slowly unveiled her sexual orientation, still not very open about it to this day.

In 1996, Queen Latifah played a lesbian police officer in the movie “Set It Off.” It is still unknown if she used her personal experiences for the character.  During this time, although she was not openly gay, she states, “When I got the role of amateur bank robber Cleo Sims in ‘Set It Off,’ I sat down with my younger siblings and told them, ‘Listen, I’m playing a gay character. Your classmates might tease you or say negative things about it. But I’m doing it because I believe I can bring positive attention to the gay African-American community, and I believe that I can do a great job as an actor.’ They understood, and when those things inevitably happened in school, they were OK with it.”

Skip twelve years later to 2008, Queen Latifah told New York Times, “I don’t have a problem discussing the topic of somebody being gay, but I do have a problem discussing my personal life… I don’t care if people think I’m gay or not. Assume whatever you want. You do it anyway.” Another four years later, in 2012, at the Long Beach Pride event, Queen Latifah comes out saying “Y’all my peeps,” she said, referring to the LGBT community. “I love you!” This coming out in itself was very ambiguous.

It is noted that Queen Latifah never referred to her partner of eight years as her partner in public. In 2017, Queen Latifah talks publicly, at age 47, about wanting to start a family and most likely choosing adoption, quite possibly adopting a child rather than an infant.  Although she spoke publicly about possible future adoption, she didn’t talk about family dynamics or the possibility of co-parenting with a same-sex partner. She does mention that she wouldn’t be providing frequent updates to fans regarding her adoption.

Overall, from my research, it seems like Queen Latifah has worked hard to keep her love life and sexual identity off the radar of her fans. I wonder why this is? Why did she choose to be outspoken about certain things in her music, such as domestic violence, sexual harassment, the inclusiveness of women in hip-hop, and the cycle of violence within the Black community (just to name a few), why didn’t she choose to rap about queer identity?