Andrew Higgins

Andrew's Dog

ROLE

As a mentor, I am especially interested in the pedagogical implications of online education. For me, teaching online has been an opportunity to rethink and re-examine many of the assumptions and habits that have guided my teaching over the past 25 years. I hope to help my colleagues engage in a similar process of reflection and discovery.

EDUCATION

• Ph.D. September 1999. University of Massachusetts, Amherst. English M.A. May 1996.
  • University of Massachusetts, Amherst. English B.S. May 1988.
  • Springfield College, Springfield, Massachusetts. English & Sociology
Andrew's Dog
Andrew’s Dog

EXPERIENCE

Though I am relatively new to fully online teaching, I have been teaching with technology at the university level for over 25 years. In the 1990s I worked with the Epiphany Project and early leaders in teaching with technology such as Paul LeBlanc, Trent Batson, and Cynthia Selfe. (I’m so old that I remember participating in discussions about whether or not reading on screens would ever really be viable.) After many years of doing pretty much the same old thing in my hybrid classes, I have returned to an interest in teaching with technology. I completed the New Paltz pathway in 2018-19 and taught my first fully online class in the summer of 2019.

MENTOR STRENGTHS

I’m not the person to talk to if you want the latest information about the latest piece of software. I’ll confess I often struggle with the technical side of things. Blackboard’s grading center, for example, drives me nuts. But I am especially interested in the social and affective implications of the online environment, and I seek to create courses in which students feel connected and heard.

COURSES

My teaching focuses mostly on American literature, however I also teach courses on grammar and classical literature. My specialty is nineteenth-century American literature.