Blair Proctor

Blair Proctor

ROLE

As a member to the team, I can see myself helping others through listening and asking questions. I am an asset in providing my input and suggestions to improving our roles as faculty mentors and providing a positive and energetic attitude. We are all in this together, particularly within a COVID-19 world.

EDUCATION

• PhD in African American and African Studies (AAAS), Historical Sociology specialization, Michigan State University, 2017
  • Masters of Urban & Environmental Planning (MUEP), Arizona State University, 2007
  • BS in Planning, Arizona State University, 2005
Blair Proctor
Blair Proctor

EXPERIENCE

• National Council of Black Studies (NCBS) Ankh Maat Wedjau Honor Society Advisor
  • Blackboard Certification, 2018

MENTOR STRENGTHS

My mentoring strength is visibility and representation. Identifying as both Black American and a member of the LGBTIA+ community, my importance is representation for other faculty who are associated with historically marginalized communities. My role and asset to the team is important since I am a junior faculty member, as a reappointed Assistant Professor at SUNY New Paltz and as a former Adjunct Professor at Syracuse University. Due to the continued experiences of learning the complexities of the academy, I can be a mentor to fellow junior faculty and adjunct professors who need assistance with providing suggestions to improve their modalities and online teaching pedagogy.

COURSES

Introduction to Africa, History of South Africa, Black Sociology, Black History 1, Intro to Black Studies, Capstone Seminar in Black Studies

HOBBIES

I enjoy traveling, hiking, attending live-music venues, and spending time outside observing nature which brings me peace.