NEH Summer Stipends of $6,000 support faculty for two consecutive months of full-time research and writing related to a humanities project. The program aims to stimulate new research in the humanities and its publication by supporting the work of individual scholars doing research or writing.
SUNY New Paltz is able to nominate two full-time, tenured or tenure-track faculty members for the NEH Summer Stipends competition each year. (Non-tenure-track faculty, non-teaching professional staff, and emeritus faculty may apply without a nomination.) Please see below for details of the nomination procedure schedule.
The guidelines are available at NEH Summer Stipends homepage. Those interested in applying are strongly encouraged to contact the NEH Division of Research Programs at email@example.com or 202-606-8200 (TTY 800-877-8399).
This year, NEH will be offering a live webinar for administrators and prospective applicants, introducing the program, describing the application and nomination process, and offering application-writing suggestions. There will be a chance to ask questions, captions will be available, and the webinar will be recorded so others can watch it later.
Date: Wednesday, May 20th – Time: 2:00 PM (Eastern time) To watch the presentation, click on this link.
The SUNY New Paltz procedure for nomination will be as follows:
· Review application guidelines (see above for direct link)
· Submit all application materials to your Dean no later than August 21, 2020.
· The Dean will submit recommendations for nominations to the Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Compliance (SPRC) by August 28, 2020. SPRC then passes these to the Provost for review.
· The Provost may consult with the Committee on Research, Awards and Leaves (CRAL) if more than 2 recommendations are submitted.
· CRAL (if needed) submits recommendations by September 4, 2020 to the Provost.
· The Provost submits the final list of nominees to SPRC by September 11, 2020.
· SPRC will inform nominees of selection by September 18, 2020.
· Nominees submit applications via grants.gov on or before September 23, 2020 to NEH.
This schedule must be strictly followed by all involved parties due to the short time between the beginning of the semester and the program deadline.
Work on Application Submit to Dean Dean Submits to Sponsored Programs CRAL recommends nominations to Provost Provost submits list of nominees to SPRC Sponsored Programs informs nominees of selection Nominees must electronically submit applications to NEH via Grants.gov
2020 Aug. 21, 2020 Aug. 28, 2020 Sept. 4, 2020 Sept. 11, 2020 Sept. 18, 2020 September 23, 2020 by 11:50 p.m. local time
In the last five competitions the Summer Stipends program received an average of 834 applications per year. The program made an average of 77 awards per year, for a funding ratio of 9 percent.
The number of applications to an NEH grant program can vary widely from year to year, as can the funding ratio. Information about the average number of applications and awards in recent competitions is meant only to provide historical context for the current competition. Information on the number of applications and awards in individual competitions is available from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact NEH’s Division of Research Programs at 202-606-8200 or email@example.com. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing can contact NEH via Federal Relay (TTY users) at 800-877-8399.
due to your Dean August, 2020
For additional information or guidance, please contact:
SUNY New Paltz
The Office of Sponsored Programs
Secretary for O.S.P. & H.R.E.B.
**** New Location – OM B120