Richard III versus Iago, EVIL and its many faces…

by Kristin Ludwig (Circle 2)

In the opening scene of the play Richard III provides the audience with a speech that tells us a series of battles has ended and his family was victorious. As his family is celebrating he is lamenting with his “piss-poor” attitude. Instead of being preoccupied with the celebration he is too busy fretting over his appearance. He claims “I, that am curtailed of this fair proportion,/Cheated of feature by dissembling nature,/ Deformed, unfinished, sent before my time/ Into this breathing world, scarce half made up,/ And that so lamely and unfashionable/ That dogs bark at me as I halt by them—/ Why, I, in this weak piping time of peace,/ Have no delight to pass away the time,/ Unless to see my shadow in the sun/ And descant on mine own deformity” (18-27). Richard has a deformity this makes him feel like he is “unfinished” he also mentions that because of his deformity dogs won’t even obey him, let alone people. He admits he has no interest in this glorious celebration because the sun is shining and creating a shadow, reminding him he is different. He would rather it be winter and wartime where the focus is not on his appearance but his ability to fight, which he does well. During wartime Richard feels as though he fits in maybe even feels confident. Yet, the war has ended but this doesn’t stop Richard from creating a war amongst his family members to gain the throne and rule the kingdom.

On the contrary, in Othello the character of Iago does not start off by stating his motives nor does he tell us much about who he is. He tries to start some trouble by waking Desdamona’s father and tattling on her and Othello for having sex. We later learn that Iago is upset with Othello and that is why is trying to cause a rift between him and his wife. He claims “… I hate the Moor, / And it is thought abroad that ’twixt my sheets, /He’s done my office. I know not if ’t be true, / But I, for mere suspicion in that kind, / Will do as if for surety. He holds me well. / The better shall my purpose work on him. / Cassio’s a proper man. Let me see now, / To get his place and to plume up my will In double knavery. / How? How? Let’s see. /After some time, to abuse Othello’s ear/ That he is too familiar with his wife.” (323-333). It seems as though Iago’s motivation for causing problems is more external compared to the internal motivation of Richard III. Iago claims that he heard a rumor that Othello is sleeping with his wife. He also mentions he wants to gain Cassio’s position, yet he believes it should have been his in the first place. His plan is to convince Othello that Desdamona and Cassio are intimate and that Othello’s wife is unfaithful.

Both men are social climbers and believe they are untitled. In my opinion, it seems as though Iago’s motivation seems more justifiable than Richard’s. Richard just seems to be miserable for a reason that goes beyond not being in control of his kingdom. Both of these characters are interesting in the sense that they are evil and intend invoke physical and emotional harm on others. I can see Iago’s motivation more than I can see Richard’s. I don’t see Richard’s at all, quite frankly. Thus far I believe that Richard strives to be a villain because of his inner unhappiness rather than Iago who has a justifiable reason to be upset and seems to be acting on that reason.

8 thoughts on “Richard III versus Iago, EVIL and its many faces…

1. Samantha Mitchell

Kristen,

I see the comparison between both Richard and Iago, and I agree that they both are social climbers, and are malicious characters. I do disagree about motive though. I think that Iago’s motive is petty, and unreasonable. He is doing it out of revenge, or what is he really trying to accomplish to me it is still uncertain. With Richard, he wants to be King, and being that he is at least sixth or seventh in line for the thrown, it makes sense for him to do whatever he can to become king. Obviously things in this time period would never come to this point, but there is ways to find out who did the murders now, and who would have motivation making it harder to commit crimes against the crown. I just feel like if anyone would have reason to create chaos it would be someone who is fighting to become king, and to come into power.

2. Brianna Aldrich

Kristin,
    I really like how you decided to compare Richard and Iago to another because they really are the most malicious our of all the characters we have come across in our plays for Shakespeare so far. It is so true that both of these men have motives tat don’t justify their means for the damage that they do. While Iago first begins by trying to seek revenge, he ends up going overboard and goes on almost an “evil high”, he just doesn’t know when to stop! Similarly, Richard seems to plow through everyone and anyone who gets in his way and as you mentioned, his motives seem to be less justly than Iago’s. Richard is so miserable with his own self and his life that he does everything in his power to indeed GAIN power and make something of himself. Although it is true that Richard may not have as much of a reason to go on a killing spree as Iago does, I still don’t think Iago should be justified because by the end of the play, he went so far off the original path he had once been on. One thing we can be happy about is that both characters didn’t win in the end and in one way or another did get what they deserved from the way they treated others.

3. Danielle Lown

Kristin,
    I love how you decided to compare Richard and Iago because they definitely have their similarities. Ultimately, the end of the play shows that Richard might have some feelings of remorse for his actions as he ponders whether or not he loves or hates himself, even if he is in fact a villain. However, when it comes to Iago he refused to speak anymore at the end of the play and did not feel bad for what he did. Both characters are the cause of numerous deaths, but at least we get to see Richard looking back and reflecting, where as Iago obviously feels perfectly fine with what he did. From the very beginning, I was comparing the two characters, therefore I am glad that you posted on this topic because you brought up points that I hadn’t even considered. For example, “Thus far I believe that Richard strives to be a villain because of his inner unhappiness rather than Iago who has a justifiable reason to be upset and seems to be acting on that reason.” With this statement I have thought about it and I truly do believe that Richard decided to be a villain simply because he was feeling sorry for himself, however, Iago was truly motivated by the power he was chasing after.

4. Sam Jacklitsch

Kristin,
    Great post involving Richard and Iago. I could not help but think of Iago as I was reading Richard III because they are both malicious ad evil villains! I do agree with you in seeing Iago’s motivation at first because he is made the Othello chose Cassion instead of him as lieutenant. Why Iago goes above and beyond to ultimately drive Othoello to murder his loving wife I will never understand. Iago possibly just got caught up in his evilness, jealousy, and grossly enjoyed watching destruction around him. In regards to Richard I agree with you as well, he wanted to be evil as you said because he was deformed and he wishes for it to be winter and wartime. I think it is interesting to view Iago and Richard as being similar villains in Shakespeare’s plays but also recognizing that despite them both wreaking havoc, when Iago is caught, his last words are “I will say no more” proving that what he did is done and he has no remorse. Looking at Richard who is an utter devil, is interesting because throughout the entire play the blood he has on his hands is ridiculous, but during his dream he is battling his inner self and realizing he hates himself for what he has done. I agree with you about seeing Iago’s motivation compared to Richards but in the end who is more evil? It is a hard chose! Both Iago and Richard crave this false sense of power through violence and relentlessness.

5. Joe

Kristen!

I love all of the Iago/Richard work going in the posts this week, yours is no exception. Both characters are definitely social climbers: Iago for the promotion he wasn’t given, Richard for the inheritance of the crown. I think, on a rational/logical level, Iago is the most reasonably upset. Not that his actions are reasonable, though. We could argue for and justify Iago actually having deserved the promotion Cassio was given. If we understand Iago this way, he is reasonably upset, just unreasonably reactionary. Richard, on the other hand, wasn’t exactly robbed of the crown. He was unfortunately born after a long list of other inheritors. We may certainly sympathize with Richard’s position, however, due to his undeserved genetic deformity, something he also had no feasible control over. Despite our ability to show sympathy for Richard, his actions, like Iago’s, are blasphemous, selfish, and malicious. The motivational juxtaposition is really what sets the two characters apart as villains, personally, no matter how similar they are otherwise. Neither is excusable for their behavior, though, regardless of how justifiable each characters catalyst for destruction was.

6. Alyssa

Kristin,
    I found your post very intriguing. I thought it was interesting that you state Richard feels more comfortable and confident during a war, thus, he decides to create a war amongst his family members. I didn’t think of it that way until I read your post! However, I do agree with you that Iago was took a very different route in being evil than Richard. Richard was very blatant about it and everyone knew not to trust him. On the contrary, Iago was very secretive about his plans, he tipped toed around Othello getting him to trust him. I also agree that Iago had much better motives than Richard. Richard even states he’s acting like a villain because he’s bored and thinks he’s unable to find love.

7. Dana

Kristin,

I think that you are right to say that Iago and Richard both have similar goals in Othello and Richard III. However, I think that the main difference between the two men is not how they perceive themselves, but how others perceive them. The reason Richard is so focussed on his appearance in the beginning of the play is because he has been told all his life that he is a monster (I mean… he was born with teeth…). Although the murdering was all Richard’s doing, Richard’s family and the rest of his court made him into the monster he was in Richard III. Iago is well liked by those he is in league with. He is well trusted and Othello does not suspect him of any wrong doings. This is so vastly different from the way that Richard is treated and seen by the people who surround him even after he helps the Yorks win the War of the Roses.

8. Jordana Jampel

Kristin, your comparison of Iago and Richard’s intentions for their evil ways is interesting and raises many important questions about Elizabethan England. I don’t believe Iago’s actions are more justifiable than Richards though– maybe in terms of what is given to us within the play–but I think as a reader of Shakespeare, it is important to consider the different social situations that affected Elizabethan society. Iago’s sabotage of Othello and Desdemona’s relationship is in response to Othello appointing Cassio as lieutenant over Iago, which is pretty obvious, but Richard’s sabotage of the entire English monarchy is more deeply rooted, and reflects realistic historical circumstances. Not only was Richard deformed, which I am sure caused him much trouble and sadness especially during such a historically conservative time, but he, like many men in England, unwillingly accept the tradition of primogeniture. I do not condole Richard’s evil, murderous manner, but I think his reactions and attempts at destruction of the York and Lancaster families are rooted in the unfair consequences of primogeniture, especially for the youngest, deformed brother of the Yorks, which I believe is more justifiable to Richard’s actions than is Iago’s reaction to who Othello appointed instead of him.