It is Firelight’s mission to mentor our interns and give them the skills and experience to be the next generation of film, media, and arts administration professionals. Our internship program will give dedicated and driven participants the opportunity to assist our Firelight Media and Firelight Films teams with a variety of projects depending on their area of interest. Opportunities include the production and development of documentary film projects; graphic design and social video production; fundraising and arts administration, and more.
Firelight is two separate organizations with one mission: to support communities of color in front of and behind the camera. We seek interns in several departments: Production, Communication, Operations, Development. https://www.firelightmedia.tv/
Overall Intern Tasks and Activities
- Orientation – All interns will be invited to attend a group orientation session to learn about Firelight’s work and meet staff and fellow interns across all departments.
- Weekly Check-ins – Interns will be supported via weekly check-ins with department staff.
- Evaluations – Interns will be provided with a mid-term evaluation as well as a final evaluation from their direct supervisor(s) upon request.
- Lunch and Learn – Interns will participate in a series of lunches/meetings about different topics related to documentary production and arts administration.
- Masterclasses with Stanley Nelson – Interns will be invited to attend a series of Masterclasses with Stanley Nelson and other leading documentary filmmakers to gain insight into the field of documentary filmmaking and humanities scholarship.
Artist Programs Intern
The Artist Programs intern will support the Artists Programs teams in all administrative and logistical efforts supporting the coordinators in tasks related to the Artist Programs fellowships, funds, and shorts programs. They will assist in strengthening, organizing, and updating the databases, and systems in place that keep these programs organized. They’ll also be invited to attend team meetings to take notes and learn about the work across the programs. Interested candidates should email email@example.com with “Firelight Internship” in the subject line.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in updating and creating as needed databases, filmmaker and industry guides, master crew list, and other resources used across artist
- Assist the Coordinator in the planning of the Documentary Lab
- Assist Coordinators in planning and managing Open
- Assist in coordinating internal meetings across artist
- Assist teams in outreach and field building research as
- Assist in the creation of program timelines and grant
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interest in non-profit management
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong research skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Interest and commitment to Firelight’s core tenants of diversity and inclusion
- Experience working with artists or filmmakers
- Proficient in Google Suite (Sheets, Docs, Slides) and Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and familiarity with platforms such as Salesforce, Submittable, Airtable or similar.
- Interest in artist support, partnership building and the documentary filmmaking industry.
- Experience or interest in related artist support, grants, funds, or program
- Discretion when dealing with sensitive issues and information