The New New York Leaders: Student Intern Program provides a centralized location to access all New York State government internships.
The Student Intern Program welcomes applications from students attending undergraduate and graduate programs at colleges and universities throughout New York State, as well as New York State residents studying elsewhere. Each intern works in a particular area within a New York State executive branch agency or department, and has opportunities to:
- Gain Valuable experience
- Interact with government leaders and policymakers
- Perform rewarding and meaningful work
- Receive academic credit
Interested students use an internship portal to view job descriptions, review and identify preferred internships, submit applications, and upload resumes. Available internships can be filtered by degree concentration, occupational interest, location, and state agency. Students can apply for multiple opportunities with one application using the portal, and each host office or agency reviews applications to identify select candidates.
The Department of Civil Service hosts the Student Intern Program Portal, where students can:
- Submit an application, including contact information, academic and occupational details, employment and geographic preferences, and activity involvement
- Upload a resume
- Provide a writing sample
- Identify preferred internships
- Provide a letter of recommendation to support their application (optional)
The SUMMER 2023 application period runs from January 1, 2023 through June 8, 2023.
To apply or browse internships, visit Student Internship Opportunities with New York State (ny.gov).