DCP’s Summer Internship Program aims to introduce its mission to both undergraduate and graduate interns and strives to integrate interns into the agency’s work program by fostering on-the-job training and career exploration. Their program includes orientation, presentations from subject matter experts and site visits to exciting projects across the five boroughs.
Program Duration: 8-10 Weeks beginning on June 5th, 2023
Civil Service Title: Summer College Intern
Hourly Rate: $17.50
Shift: Maximum of 34 hours per week
Job ID: 572138
Application Deadline: Friday, March 10th, 2023
Minimum Requirements: As of June 2023, the prospective intern must be a student matriculated in an accredited undergraduate or graduate degree program or be a recent graduate (winter/spring term 2023).
About DCP: DCP has an expansive work program focused on the creation and strengthening of great neighborhoods, affordable housing, vibrant commercial and institutional centers, while promoting strategic growth, transit-oriented development, sustainable communities and high-quality open space and waterfronts. Their aim is to enhance quality of life in the city, in part by initiating comprehensive, consensus-based planning and zoning changes for individual neighborhoods and business districts, as well as establishing policies and zoning regulations applicable citywide.
About the Communications Division: The Communications Division manages all interactions with the media and agency announcements. The Communications Division is part of the Executive Office, which serves as the Department’s primary liaison to City Hall, its fellow agencies, and City Planning’s community, business, and civic constituents.
Division Summer Internship Description: The Communications Division intern will be an integral member of the Executive Office, assisting the Communications Director and other members of the Executive Office staff in a variety of tasks and responsibilities. The internship position provides a wide vantage point from which to understand the functioning of the entire agency and the opportunity for involvement in a wide range of City Planning projects and related communications initiatives. Under supervision, with latitude for independent judgment, the communications intern will:
- Research and work with relevant staff to prepare accurate, timely press releases and responses to media inquiries.
- Perform research, data analysis and writing assignments to support senior Executive staff and Chair’s needs; assist Communications team in preparation of weekly press package.
- Monitor and report back with summaries of City Planning Commission, City Council and other public meetings; and assist in preparation of community outreach and stakeholder presentations.
- Monitor relevant news and blog sources; contribute to the agency’s social media presence by helping to collect images or data; follow social media accounts that are relevant to DCP policy and initiatives.
- Assist in the development of promotional materials such as videos, flyers, etc.
- Perform other related tasks.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- A focus or internist in journalism/media studies or public relations.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate initiative and the ability to work effectively with others, manage multiple projects under strict deadlines, and have excellent writing, editing, and research skills.
- Experience with social media content development and metrics analysis.
- Familiarity with urban planning concepts and/or NYC government.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and/or video skills are a plus.
- Spanish and/or other foreign language proficiency are a plus.
All applications will require you to create a user profile or log into an existing account with the New York City Application System (NYCAPS).
Step 1: Apply to this internship (Job ID: 572138) via NYCAPS. Access this opportunity from the New York City careers website: https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/index_new.html?agency=030 and select Job ID: 572138. Click on “Apply Now” at the bottom of the posting.
Step 2: Contact the DCP Recruitment team at DCPRecruit@planning.nyc.gov if you have any questions about our 2023 Summer Internship Program or your application. Prospective candidates are encouraged to apply to multiple internships. Available Summer 2023
Internships can be found on DCP’s career page under “Internships Opportunities” at: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/planning/about/employment-opportunities.page