The D&H Canal Historical Society is dedicated to preserving the history of the D&H Canal through a museum, educational programs, archives, and Five Locks Walk, a National Historic Landmark. We are currently renovating a stone tavern built in 1797 that sits along the towpath of the canal in High Falls as the new D&H Canal Museum and Mid-Hudson Visitor Center. This new space will hold exhibits that function as a springboard for programs and conversations with the public. While the museum will maintain its important collections, new interactive exhibit elements that highlight STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) topics will help bring history to life and create a vibrant experience with a focus on family audiences. Using hands-on interactives, historical images, documents, and artifacts–coupled with digital/multimedia elements and storytelling–the new Visitor Center and D&H Canal Museum will answer big questions about where, who, what, when, and how the environment and the canal have shaped High Falls and the region today.
The main role of the Events and Marketing Intern will be to support the Society’s communications, fundraising, and community engagement efforts for the grand opening of the Museum and Visitor Center in Spring of 2022. You will work closely with the Deputy Director for Administration and the External Affairs Committee. The position will be supervised jointly by the Deputy Director for Administration (remotely) and the Curatorial Assistant (on-site.) Hours will be determined by the intern’s schedule and workload, but you can expect to work between 5-7 hours a week, potentially up to 15 when events occur. Part of the work can be done remotely, but the intern will also need to have transportation to work at the museum for events and other in-person meetings. Internship is for the spring semester and depending on the availability of the intern and funding, may be extended through the summer.
Projects May Include:
● Organizing donor information, developing email campaigns
● Tracking event tasks and organizing documents in GoogleDrive
● Coordinate pop up events with local artisans, cultural organizations, and food vendors in
the visitor center, including:
○ Reaching out to partners, scheduling, communicating guidelines
○ Providing site tours, welcoming partners and providing orientation
● Develop marketing materials for promotion of the Museum and Visitor Center
● Research ideas for cross promotional opportunities with other businesses and cultural
organizations in the area
RelevantSkills and Qualifications:
● Junior or senior communications or business major
● Excellent writing skills, including editing and proofreading
● Experience with customer service or engaging people in a work or volunteer capacity
● Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
● Graphic design skills a plus
Please email resume and writing sample (1-2 pages) to Deputy Director for Administration, Kayla Altland, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but submissions should be submitted by December 15. All applicants will be notified of next steps. The position pays $14/hour. Feel free to reach out with any questions!