While internships are not mandatory for Communication Studies students, they are recommended. Our department has a process by which students must get certified eligible to earn academic credits for work at an internship.
Certification must happen at least 1 semester BEFORE you look for an internship placement. Once you are eligible, please apply for certification.
To be eligible, you must have:
- completed 60 credits (junior or senior status)
- completed 30 credits at SUNY New Paltz
- earned 18 credits in your major
- earned a 2.5 or higher GPA
- submitted your application, with resume and Progress Report by the March deadline for summer and fall OR the November deadline for spring internships
You can find the certification application in the Blackboard community “Spring21_Communication & DMJ Students.”
In that Blackboard community, there is a post titled “Internship Policy and Procedures.” Read that before you fill out the application. Then you can check the box in the application that you have read that post.
This form is mandatory for newly declared majors in our department.